If you’re a fan of luxury cars, you’ve probably heard of Maserati and Ferrari. These iconic Italian brands have captivated the hearts of car enthusiasts around the world. But have you ever wondered about the relationship between Maserati and Ferrari? Is Maserati owned by Ferrari? In this post, we’ll find out the fascinating history of these two legendary car manufacturers and uncover the truth behind their ownership.
Is Maserati Owned By Ferrari?
Maserati and Ferrari have a long history of association and shared ownership. At one point, Ferrari did indeed own Maserati, positioning it as its luxury division. However, the ownership structure has changed over the years.
Ferrari’s Ownership of Maserati
In 1993, both Maserati and Ferrari were acquired by FIAT, an Italian automotive company. As a result, Ferrari took control of Maserati in 1997 and began positioning it as its luxury brand. This led to the development of new factories, engines, and models, as well as the brand’s expansion into the US market.
Separation and Current Ownership
However, Ferrari eventually separated from the FIAT group, now known as Stellantis, and relinquished control of Maserati back to FIAT. As of today, both Maserati and Alfa Romeo are owned by Stellantis, a global automotive conglomerate.
Maserati’s Engine Innovation
While Maseratis in the past did have Ferrari engines, current models do not. Unless you come across a rare older model like the 1998 Maserati 3200 GT or the 2001 Maserati Coupe, modern Maserati vehicles are equipped with the latest innovations in Maserati engine technology.
While Maserati was once owned by Ferrari and positioned as its luxury brand, the ownership structure has changed. Currently, both Maserati and Alfa Romeo are owned by Stellantis. So, rest assured, Maserati continues to make impressive automobiles with their own cutting-edge engine technology.
The Relationship Between Maserati and Ferrari
It’s common knowledge among car enthusiasts that Maserati and Ferrari have had a historical relationship. But is Maserati currently owned by Ferrari? Let’s look into the details.
1. A Luxury Division under Ferrari’s Ownership
In the past, Ferrari owned Maserati and positioned it as its luxury division. This ownership structure lasted from 1997 to 2005. During this period, Maserati experienced a renaissance with the release of the Quattroporte Evoluzione, which breathed new life into the brand.
2. Changing Ownership Structure
After the partnership with Ferrari ended in 2005, Maserati split from the iconic Italian sports car manufacturer and formed a partnership with Alfa Romeo. This marked a significant shift in ownership and direction for Maserati.
3. Separation from Ferrari, Engine Development
Over the years, Maserati has continued to evolve independently. In fact, Maserati has been developing its own cutting-edge engine technology since 2015. The result is the Nettuno engine, an all-new powerplant with a twinturbo V6 configuration that pumps out an impressive 621 horsepower. This engine will debut in the highly anticipated 2022 MC20 model.
4. A New Era for Maserati
With its separation from Ferrari, Maserati has been able to forge its own path. While older Maserati models featured Ferrari engines, the brand is now focusing on its own engine technology to power its vehicles. This marks a new era for Maserati, one where it can fully express its own identity and showcase its engineering prowess.
Common Misconceptions About Maserati’s Ownership
There are some common misconceptions surrounding Maserati’s ownership history that we would like to clarify. As an avid Ferrari enthusiast, it’s important to have accurate information about the ownership of these iconic Italian car brands. Here they are:
- Maserati is currently owned by Ferrari: This is not true. While Ferrari once owned Maserati and positioned it as its luxury division, the ownership structure has changed over the years. In 1993, both Maserati and Ferrari were acquired by FIAT. Eventually, Ferrari separated from the FIAT group, and Maserati returned to FIAT’s ownership. Currently, both Maserati and Alfa Romeo are owned by Stellantis, a multinational corporation formed in 2021.
- Modern Maserati models have Ferrari engines: Contrary to popular belief, modern Maserati vehicles are equipped with their own cutting-edge engine technology. Unless you can find a 1998 Maserati 3200 GT or a 2001 Maserati Coupe, you’ll be hard-pressed to find any recent models with Ferrari engines. Maserati has been focusing on developing its own engine technology since 2015, resulting in the creation of the impressive Nettuno engine, which will debut in the 2022 MC20 model.
- Maserati’s ownership partnership with Alfa Romeo: While it is true that Maserati once partnered with Alfa Romeo, this partnership has since evolved. Currently, both Maserati and Alfa Romeo are owned by Stellantis, but they operate as separate entities. Maserati is now focused on establishing its own identity and engineering prowess.
So, the next time you come across the question of whether Maserati is owned by Ferrari, you can confidently say that it’s not. Maserati stands proudly on its own, forging its path in the world of luxury automobiles.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the sister brand of Maserati?
Maserati’s sister brands include Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Dodge, Ferrari, Fiat, Fiat Professional, Jeep, Lancia, Ram Trucks, and SRT.
Is Maserati and Ferrari the same company?
No, Maserati is not the same company as Ferrari. In 2005, Maserati split from Ferrari and partnered with Alfa Romeo.
Why is Maserati called the poor man’s Ferrari?
Maserati has been called the poor man’s Ferrari because it generally has a lower price, lower horsepower, and lower performance compared to Ferrari cars.
Who is Maserati owned by?
Maserati is owned by Stellantis, which was created in a merger between Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Peugeot SA in 2021.
What year Maserati has a Ferrari engine?
Until 2020, Maserati models had Ferrari-built engines under the hood dating back to 2002. However, since 2021, Maserati has been developing its own engine technology.
Hi! I’m Larry Gibbs, studying mechanical engineering with a focus on cars. I really love Ferraris and write blog posts about the latest car stuff. When not studying or blogging, I’m usually on a road trip exploring new places. I also enjoy playing football and watching movies. Life’s an adventure, and I’m all about enjoying the ride!