If you’re a fan of luxury sports cars, chances are you’ve heard of Ferrari. The iconic Italian brand has captivated enthusiasts around the world with its sleek designs and powerful performance. But did you know that there’s a connection between Ferrari and another well-known automotive company?
Does Fiat Own Ferrari?
When discussing the ownership of Ferrari, one name that often comes up is Fiat. But does Fiat actually own Ferrari? The answer is both yes and no. Let’s find out the history of these two automotive giants to understand their relationship.
- 1969 Acquisition: In 1969, Fiat acquired a 50% stake in Ferrari, providing much-needed financial support for the brand’s expansion and the development of new models. This allowed Ferrari to thrive and produce some of the most iconic sports cars in history.
- Increased Ownership: Over the years, Fiat gradually increased its ownership of Ferrari. By 1988, Fiat held a controlling stake of 90% in the company, with Enzo Ferrari’s son retaining the remaining 10% following his father’s passing. However, it’s important to note that Fiat never had full ownership of Ferrari.
- Separation and Spin-Off: In 2014, Fiat and Chrysler merged, forming Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA). As part of this restructuring, FCA sold 10% of Ferrari through a direct listing on the New York Stock Exchange, reducing its stake to 80%. The remaining 10% was owned by Piero Ferrari, Enzo’s son. Then, in 2016, Ferrari became a separate company, separate from FCA.
While Fiat played a significant role in the history and growth of Ferrari, it does not currently own the brand outright. Ferrari is now a separate entity, with its CEO and operations. However, the shared history between Fiat and Ferrari will forever be intertwined, leaving an indelible mark on the automotive industry.
Fiat’s Influence on Ferrari
When it comes to the history and growth of Ferrari, it’s important to acknowledge the significant influence of Fiat. In 1969, Fiat SPA acquired a 50% stake in the company, marking the beginning of a partnership that would have a lasting impact. By joining forces with Fiat, Ferrari gained access to a larger player in the automotive industry and the benefits that came with it.
One of the key advantages of the Fiat partnership was the ability for Ferrari to tap into the Fiat parts bin. This meant that Ferrari could utilize Fiat’s electronics and other components instead of developing their own. This not only helped Ferrari streamline production and reduce costs, but it also enabled them to stay competitive in a changing market.
Over the years, Fiat progressively increased its ownership of Ferrari to 90%, further solidifying their relationship. This ownership stake allowed Fiat to support Ferrari’s growth and investment in new models. The collaboration between the two brands helped Ferrari establish itself as a renowned manufacturer of luxury sports cars.
However, it’s important to note that the dynamic between Fiat and Ferrari has evolved over time. In 2016, Ferrari became an independent company, separate from Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA). Today, Ferrari has its own CEO and operations, signaling its status as a distinct entity within the automotive industry.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who currently owns Ferrari?
Ferrari is owned by Exor N.V. (24.21%), Piero Ferrari (10.30%), and the public (65.49%).
Why did Ferrari split from Fiat?
Ferrari split from Fiat to help bankroll Fiat Chrysler Automobiles’ five-year plan to expand global market share.
Does Fiat own Rolls Royce?
No, Fiat does not own Rolls Royce. BMW owns Rolls Royce.
Why can’t the Kardashians own a Ferrari?
The Kardashians are on Ferrari’s blacklist because they haven’t taken care of their Ferraris and have a history of modifying luxury vehicles.
Who makes Fiat now?
Fiat is now a subsidiary of Stellantis through its Italian division, Stellantis Italy.
Hi! I’m Larry Gibbs, studying mechanical engineering with a focus on cars. I really love Ferraris and write blog posts about the latest car stuff. When not studying or blogging, I’m usually on a road trip exploring new places. I also enjoy playing football and watching movies. Life’s an adventure, and I’m all about enjoying the ride!